Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Amish/Mennonite Living

Trying to live an Amish/ Mennonite life in modern America is challenging. Figuring out which boundaries need to be set is even more challenging. Sure, some things are obvious but others I tend to have to break out the scales of balance in order to make a reasonable decision. This is especially tricky when it comes to children. There are so many influences out there and so much temptation. I picked up a copy of Jame Dobson's, "Bringing up Girls," book yesterday--they also have "Bringing up Boys." I personally and freely jumped into every hole possible as a young-er woman so I do feel like through experience I am somewhat prepared for what may come. At least I know the signs and more important perhaps, I know the reasons behind my own choices. My prayer, and this might be a good prayer for us to lift up for one another, is that God guides Danny's and my parenting so that whatever mistakes we make, are not one's that damage Lucy and that where we do fall short, he will shield and strengthen her. Nicole asked me yesterday if Lucy was 10 going on 13. I'm so glad she's not. Emotionally she's had to deal with issues far beyond her age and her worries and causes and sometimes logic reflect that. But in a worldly way, she is very young. I picked out a pair of jean shorts for her the other day that come down to a little above mid-thigh. She's used to shorts coming down to her knees so I had to tell her that these new, shorter one's were fine. "I just don't feel like they're appropriate." She told me. That pleased me beyond what I can express.

May we all hear such wonderful words out of our children's mouths for as long as we live!

2 comments:

Lizzie M. said...

Yay! I can post a comment!!!

Soooo glad your back :-).

I feel the same way with Ashlynn. She had on a t-shirt the other day and kept worrying it came down too low (it wasn't low at all), but I was proud of her for being aware.

I will try not to tell you how to run your blog anymore....
:-)

TheFitnessFreak said...

I would love to raise the boys with only wonderful outside influences. I think there are some areas in the country where that would still be possible and I really want to move there! Until then, I will do the best with what I have and pray for God's protection for their hearts and minds. I'm so glad Lucy is NOT 10 going on 13 : )